- James J. Ranheim
- Of Counsel
- Hudson, Wisconsin
- 715-257-8063 direct dial
- 612-339-7655 fax
James has more than twenty years of experience working with law firms in North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. James leads the firm’s Wisconsin office in Hudson. James has decades of experience as a trial lawyer defending clients in construction defect and water intrusion, products and premises liability, personal and automobile injury, as well as advising clients regarding insurance coverage issues.
James primarily represents declarants, developers, general contractors, construction managers, product manufacturers, and various subcontractors in multi-party construction defect and water intrusion litigation. He has successfully represented clients in trials, arbitrations, and mediations for single-family, multi-family, manufactured and mobile homes, as well as complex commercial building cases. James also provides his construction clients with corporate counsel regarding contracts, disputes, liens, defect responses, and injuries.
James enjoys spending time with his family in the great outdoors and volunteering for many local charities.
- "Wisconsin Case Law Challenges and Latest Trends," Webinar, Arthur, Chapman, Kettering, Smetak & Pikala, P.A., November 2020
- “Changes in CGL Coverage for Construction Defects and Contractors,” Commercial Insurance Coverage Seminar, Arthur, Chapman, Kettering, Smetak & Pikala, P.A., May 2013
- “Construction Defect Disputes, Coverage, Risk Transfer, and Dispute Resolution,” Builders Association of the Twin Cities, 2012
- “Case Law Update,” Construction Law Seminar, Arthur, Chapman, Kettering, Smetak & Pikala, P.A., October 2012
- “Premises Liability: Trips, Tumbles & Topples,” Hennepin County Bar Association, 2012
- “The Missing Link: Claims Against Bankrupt, Dissolved Corporations, and Successor Entities,” Minnesota Construction Law Seminar, Arthur, Chapman, Kettering, Smetak & Pikala, P.A., October 2011
- “Multiple Party Litigation: Pointers, Possibilities, and Potholes – Construction Cases,” Hennepin County Bar Association, 2011
Honors and Awards
Rising Star, Minnesota Law & Politics, 2011
Hamline University School of Law, J.D.
Gustavus Adolphus College, B.A.
North Dakota, 2002
U.S. District Court, Minnesota, 2002
U.S. District Court, North Dakota, 2002
U.S. District Court, Wisconsin, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
Minnesota State Bar Association
North Dakota State Bar Association
St. Croix Valley Bar Association
Wisconsin Defense Counsel
Wisconsin State Bar Association
Diseworth at Somerby v. Wensmann Homes, et al., Olmsted County - 2013 (Dismissal of Client)
The Masters at Deacon’s Walk v. Gorham Builders, et al., Anoka County - 2011 (Judgment for Client)
Housing Project v. Construction Manager, American Arbitration Assoc. - 2009 (Defense Award for Client)
Homeowner v. Builder, Construction Arbitration Services - 2008 (Defense Award for Client)
Goetzmann v. Domestic Development, et al., Minnesota Court of Appeals – 2007 (On appeal, Judgment for Client Affirmed - Unpublished Decision - 2007 WL 446914)
Udesth v. Al Smisek Builders, Inc., et al., Hennepin County – 2007 (Judgment for Client)
Deschamp v. ABC Housing, Inc., et al., Rice County - 2006 (Jury Trial)
Chaska v. Rudy Trones, et al., Hennepin County - 2006 (Judgment for Client)
Repya v. FSB Construction, Inc., et al., Dakota County - 2006 (Judgment for Client)