The Minnesota Supreme Court recently addressed an employer’s obligation to abide by provisions in its Employee Handbooks in Hall v. City of Plainview. A full summary of the case can be found here.
Takeaways from the decision are that a prudent employer CARES about its Employee Handbook:
- Consider your employees’ expectations;
- Act in accordance with your handbook language;
- Review your handbook regularly;
- Explain handbook provisions in clear and easy-to-understand language; and
- Speak to legal counsel to ensure your handbook is compliant with legal requirements.