Arthur Chapman, a top 25 litigation defense law firm located in Minneapolis with more than 50 attorneys, has an opportunity available for a self-starting accounting professional to drive the Firm’s accounting and finance department. The position will require a highly enthusiastic, hard-working, and well-rounded individual who can contribute in many different areas. Our firm offers a competitive compensation and benefits package in a collaborative work environment. You will work in a respectful and inclusive environment, and we will invest in your professional development. This is a full-time exempt position, with a flexible hybrid work model.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Roberta Mathisen, Director of Administration, at email@example.com.
The Accounting Manager drives the Firm’s accounting and finance functions and related strategy, under the direction of the firm’s Director of Administration and the Board of Directors.
- Oversight and management of all accounting, billing and collection processes, and associated staff activity related to the firm’s client accounting processes that include:
- Client/matter intake, conflicts, credit screening, evaluation and approvals of alternative billing arrangements
- Time entry and billing
- Accounts receivables
- Collections, cash application and applicable adjustments
- Analysis and reporting of unbilled and billed accounts
- Accounts payable processing
- As directed by the Director of Administration or the Board of Directors, prepare financial statements, budgets, forecasts and management reports, analysis of operating revenues and expenses. Responsible for the delivery of timely information into the hands of the firm's decision makers.
- Month-end closing, including balancing and monthly reports to management and shareholders
- Responsible for all trust account transactions; including monthly reconciliation
- Supervision, work direction, and ensures adequate cross-training of financial department staff; currently four employees
- Coordinating with outside accounting firm in the preparation of annual tax returns; responding to periodic requests for various types of financial information
- Drives forward-thinking process improvement within the department
- Assist Director of Administration in all areas related to the financial and business management of the firm
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Five or more years of accounting or finance experience in a professional services organization
- Strong background in accounting principles and practices including general ledger, accounts payable, and billing/collections
- Outstanding communication, leadership, project management, organizational, and supervision skills; with emphasis on mutual respect, trust, and collaboration
- Strong technical and analytical skills with an aptitude to problem solve and manage multiple priorities and deadlines, exercises good judgment
- Knowledge of law firm policies, guidelines, and practices
- Must be adaptable to varied personalities, have effective follow through skills and have the ability to delegate and utilize accounting staff effectively
- Enjoys and thrives in a team-oriented environment; striving for continuous improvement
- Career oriented approach to position responsibilities
- Automated accounting/financial systems software; preferably SurePoint Technologies
- Cash management and disbursement processes
- Relentless attention to detail, deadlines, and cheerful reminders
- Communicates professionally and effectively in writing and orally with attorneys, employees, clients, and business partners
- Maintains strict confidentiality with sensitive information in firm business and client matters
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel
We are an equal-opportunity employer. Arthur Chapman is committed to continuing to make diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility part of everything we do.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
Arthur, Chapman, Kettering, Smetak & Pikala P.A.
Director of Administration
No agencies please. Equal Opportunity Employer