- Jonathon M. Zentner
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
- 612-375-5904 direct dial
- 612-339-7655 fax
Jon devotes 100% of his practice to defending construction trades against defect claims, contract disputes, additional-insured litigation, and construction injury claims. Jon’s clients include general contractors, stucco installers, window manufacturers, framers, roofers, lumber distributors, HVAC installers, excavators, and masons. Those working with Jon point to the fact that his legal practice is guided by three construction principals: meeting with the client to outline goals, staying within budget, and working hard to get the job done.
Jon grew up in Merrill, Wisconsin.
- “Attorney Fee Provisions in Construction Contracts,” Minnesota Construction Law Seminar, Arthur, Chapman, Kettering, Smetak & Pikala, P.A., January 2019
- “Building and Maintaining an Effective Risk-Management Program,” Minnesota Construction Law Seminar, Arthur, Chapman, Kettering, Smetak & Pikala, P.A., October 2017
- "Multi-State Construction," Minnesota Construction Law Seminar, Arthur, Chapman, Kettering, Smetak & Pikala, P.A., October 2016
- “Construction Law and Construction Insurance Coverage Panel Discussion,” Commercial Insurance Coverage Seminar, Arthur, Chapman, Kettering, Smetak & Pikala, P.A., May 2015
- “Recent Developments in Risk Transfer,” Minnesota Construction Law Seminar, Arthur, Chapman, Kettering, Smetak & Pikala, P.A., October 2013
- “How In-House Counsel Approach Risk Transfer,” 2012 Minnesota Construction Law Seminar, Arthur, Chapman, Kettering, Smetak & Pikala, P.A., October 2012
- “Village Lofts Ensured Repose for Condo Contractors, and Clarified the Law Governing Two Harbors Settlements. Here’s How.” Minnesota Defense, Spring 2020
Super Lawyer®, Minnesota Law & Politics, 2014-2020
Super Lawyer Top 100®, Minnesota Law & Politics, 2018-2019
Rising Star®, Minnesota Law & Politics, 2005-2012
Hamline University School of Law, J.D., 1999
University of Wisconsin - Green Bay, B.S., 1996
North Dakota, 2015
U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, 2002
Tribal Court - Shakopee Mdwakanton Sioux Community (SMSC)
NFPA 25: Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems
Professional Associations and Memberships
AchieveMpls Graduation Coaches Program
Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
Minnesota State Bar Association
Wisconsin State Bar Association
Tribal Casino: Represented general contractor in Tribal Court against water-intrusion claims at a casino/hotel. Alleged defect claims included EIFS, window installation, pre-cast concrete, and window manufacturer.
Commercial Office Park: Represented general contractor against water-intrusion claims at a commercial office complex. Alleged defect claims were limited to faulty window installation.
Commercial Office Building: Represented general contractor against water-intrusion claims at a Twin Cities commercial office complex. Alleged defect claims included faulty window installation and defects in the pre-cast masonry.
Condominium Projects: Represented general contractor against various claims brought by unit owners. Claims ranged from lack of adequate sound-proofing to a faulty hot-water transfer system. Also, Jon has represented an excavator sub-contractor in claim involving improper site grading for underground parking garage.
Private Road Construction: Represented general contractor in claim by owner of improper road construction at large residential development.
Residential Construction Defects: Represented a variety of different trades on Minnesota and Wisconsin residential construction defect lawsuits, including: stucco installer, framer/window, general contractors, window manufactures, framers, roofers, lumber distributors, HVAC installers, excavators, and masons.
Multi-Family Apartments: Represented sub-contractor mason in multi-million dollar dispute on apartment complexes located in both Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Private University: Represented general contractor in dispute with private university in Wisconsin. Claims related to alleged construction defects in standing seam metal roof system and masonry.